I have been on the lookout for grasshoppers all summer . They are masters of disguise, quick and a tease ( making plenty of noise, but being invisible)
I spied this grasshopper in a patch of dry grass it was small . It is a Field grasshopper
What is the difference between grasshoppers and crickets ?
- Grasshoppers have short antennae.
- Crickets have long antennae.
- Grasshoppers stridulate (sing) by rubbing their back legs together.
- Crickets stridulate(sing) by rubbing their wings together.
- Grasshoppers have ‘ears’ on their abdomen.
- Crickets have ‘ears’ on their front legs.
- Grasshoppers are out in the day.
- Crickets are crepuscular ( they come out at dusk)
- Grasshoppers eat plants and grasses.
- Crickets also eat animal matter.
They both belong to the order Orthoptera.
When walking the same day on the heath in Ashdown forest I spotted a second even smaller grasshopper that was very green . The photo is not very clear but I was really pleased to see two in one day.